Saturday, May 8, 2010

Second Try Tulip Success


I got this combo right on the second try. Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie' has always been a favorite plant, but one of those shrubs that can go unnoticed in a busy spring garden, so as with the Fothergilla, I thought I'd plant some tulips around it to bring attention to it. My first try was "Pink Impression" which was a total miss. They bloomed too early, too tall, and too bright. The delicate variegation of daphne looked washed-out in comparison. So I moved them across the garden, by the neon-yellow forsythia to create a bright contrast that welcomes spring loudly. In their stead I planted "Angelique", a softer peony tulip which seemed a better match for the small pale pink blooms.

And I'm very happy with the combination. Time to add them again to next year's Scheepers order.

1 comment: