Monday, April 12, 2010

Tulips in April

Color in April is a wonderful thing. Today I am going still thinking about what I like about my bulbs and what to add next year. Most of the color coming up makes me very happy, so I took lots of pictures! Here is an over all view of the mailbox garden, where I focused the bulbs this year. I currently have 5 species of tulips blooming or about to bloom, plus a smattering of other things.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

Below the crabapple are Greigii tulips called "Professor de Monsseri" which mix well with the small daffodils.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

And a close up with Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode' in the background.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

Closer to the mailbox, a Single Early tulip named "Flair" is really showing off.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

I love the look of paint brush strokes on each petal.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

I like that they are close to the street, so they can be enjoyed by walkers in the neighborhood.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

The Hyacinth, Grape Hyacinth and Creeping Phlox in the background are all very blue.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

and are ready for their close-up.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

I don't think it's possible to have too much phlox in a spring garden.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

Most of the Single Early "Beauty Queen" near the Purple-leaf Sandcherry are not open yet, but this one was early and makes me think I did well on the color match. Hopefully I'll have a good picture for bloom day from this group.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

Moving away from bulbs, the conifers are looking positively perky.
Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon' with lots of new growth.
From April 11, 2010 Garden

And a happy Pinus parviflora 'Hagoromo '
From April 11, 2010 Garden

3 comments:

  1. Love the photos! I have never been able to grow tulips (not so good winter drainage) but just started overwintering in pots this year. Will definitely check out the ones you've shown here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your Spring color, especially the beautiful blue hyacinths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking beautiful, especially love the hyacinths; beauty & fragrance!

    ReplyDelete